Friday, October 12, 2012

Butterflies are the new pirates

As a corollary to my insects in art posts, I note that an entire post could easily be devoted to butterflies and moths in art - even if I limit this to artists not mentioned in previous butterfly posts. I believe that butterflies are the new pirates. They've become as ubiquitous as other memes (pirates, zombies, vampires, even if far less bloody). I confess, I've been trying to start my own meme with the phrase, "butterflies are the new pirates" as a sort of experiment (and thus far, had no luck). It nonetheless amuses me, hence, the title. But, enough of that. On with the butterfly art!

Artist Louise Richardson often covers her fibre and sculptural art with moths and butterflies.

key of E flat
Key of E flat by Louise Richardson

spell bound
Spell bound by Louise Richardson

nettle
Nettle by Louise Richardson
( a billion taste and tunes)

Similarly, swarms of butterflies show up in the work of sculptor, painter, and animator, David Kracov.

Book of Life by David Kracov
Book of Life by David Kracov

Coca Cola Open Happiness by David Kracov
Coca Cola Open Happiness by David Kracov

Indianapolis-based artist Tasha Lewis has made magnetized cyanotype butterflies - a brilliant solution for non-destructive, grafitti-like installations. She writes,
Each installation was spontaneously arranged on iron and steel structures in urban spaces. I find it important to insist that this project does not promote tampering with public sculpture. My butterflies are attached with very very small magnets and thus do not harm the metal of the found art. My goal is to create a very ephemeral public spectacle that toeing the line between subversive and lyrical.

There is much more art to be found in her portfolio.



 Magnetized Cyanotype Butterfly Installations by Tasha Lewis



 Magnetized Cyanotype Butterfly Installations by Tasha Lewis

 Magnetized Cyanotype Butterfly Installations by Tasha Lewis

( this is colossal)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails